THE TEN COMMANDMENTS OF RUGBY
1. Thou shalt not hesitate at the breakdown, but be mighty to get your
rightful ball; for though it is written that the meek shall inherit the
earth, this is truly was a poor translation. The meek shall be trampled
into the dirt is more to the point.
2. Thou shalt not speak profanely of the Whistler, nor question the purity
of his birth, even though he be blind to transgressions by devils on the
other team at the ruck and the maul, and whistles them not.
3. Thou shalt not smite an opponent with a clenched fist, yeah, even in
retaliation; for it is written that the Whistler and the Flag Waver shall
assuredly miss the cowardly first punch, only to see the avenging second.
Believeth that what goeth around shall surely cometh, and verily, evil men
will be found at the bottom of rucks.
4. Thou should not kiss thy teammate on the mouth when he scores; for such
is an abomination unto God, especially kisses in tongues, unless you play
football with the round white ball and thus it is expected.
5. Thou shalt not take the Word of the Coach in vain, for blessed is the
Word of the Coach. Instead, wonder at his mighty wisdom and sticketh to His
Game Plan, lest the Coach acquaint you with his disciples
coaching in the lower grades.
6. Thou shalt not chip nor kick for touch if thou be a prop or wear any
jersey number below that of 7; for this is an abomination unto the Coach,
and surely you will be His at training, perhaps everlasting.
7. Thou shalt not run across the field with ball in hand, but runneth
straight ahead upfield; for it is written that the touchline is the best
8. Thou shalt not kick the ball to thine enemies unless it bounceth; for
the Spirit of the bounce of the Ball may cause confusion unto them, and if
thy heart be pure, make it bounceth back unto you.
9. Thou shalt not pass the ball to a teammate about to be smashed by the
mighty enemy, unless he owes you money, or has rodgered someone dear to
your heart, in which case all is forgiven.
10. Thou shalt not vomit on thy teammates after the game, for this is
unmanly, and they could do it unto you.